Violine Giuseppe Guarneri del Gesu, Cremona 1741, "ex Carrodus"
Printed label: "Joseph Guarnerius fecit (Kreuz) / Cremone anno 1741 IHS ( 41 hs )
This instrument is typical of a late period of the Cremonese master. The two-part belly has moderately wide annual rings and a slightly wavy grain. The divided back exhibits moderately wide flaming, which runs almost horizontally. The structure of the ribs corresponds with the back. The arching of moderate height comes down to the edge almost without fluting. Characteristic are the slender F-holes, which on this instrument have unusually narrow lobes. The scroll is cleanly executed and has the usual, angular appearance. A slight asymmetry results from the fact that the bass side of the eye is somewhat lower.
The instrument shows signs of heavy use, but its overall condition is very good.
The earliest identified owner (at the beginning of the 19th century) was a Scottish nobleman named MacKenzie. He sold the instrument to the violinist Francois Cramer, who in turn sold it to Sir Alexander MacKenzie in 1846. Through the Hill firm it came into the possession of John Tiplady Carrodus, at that time Englands leading violinist. After his death, the violin remained in the possession of the family and was played by his son, Bernard Carrodus. The latter sold it to the collector Mr. Murray, Esquire, of Galashiels, who passed it on to Mr. Horace Fellowes. Through the Hill firm the instrument arrived in the United States in 1948. For a short time it was played by Aaron Rosand. He had played his debut in New York in 1948 and was on the verge of a great career. Via Wurlitzer the violin was sold in 1950 to Max and Sophie Adler. In 1954 it passed to the collector C- Michael Paul in California, who later sold it to a Dutch collector.